Master's in Biomedical Engineering
Duration of studies
Next application period
Top reasons to study Biomedical Engineering
- Study a unique, multidisciplinary degree combining medicine with modern information technology.
- Research-oriented with novel technologies, such as big data analysis. Students learn about making equipment in addition to analyzing data.
- Programme is ranked #201–300 in Medical Technology category in Shanghai Ranking´s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2021.
- Flexibility to choose courses, 20+ biomedical engineering courses, 3 modules tailored to provide depth to the degree.
- Up-to-date teaching - learn how to measure human biometrics and participate in research measurements and projects in real research teams.
Biomedical Engineering programme is organized by internationally recognized research groups in close collaboration with the Oulu University Hospital. Strong connections with other health care organizations and industry. Oulu is a tech hub with established companies, world leaders and start-ups in health care technology.
"The university is highly focused on research, and new technologies are introduced as they are developed. This makes the environment very suitable for aspiring researchers and scientists." - Diponkor
Core skills and competence
The latest methods, tools and technologies combined with issues such as:
Anatomy and physiology
Biomechanics and biomaterials
Medical physics and imaging
Biomedical signal and image processing
Machine learning and big data
Artificial intelligence (AI) in medicine
Information systems and mobile applications in health care
Health technology applications.
The programme is highly focused on experimentation, practical work and problem-based learning in its studies and research. In addition to theoretical knowledge, the programme is based on applied research and real-world problems and solutions, which is strengthened by its close links to industry.
The programme is inherently multidisciplinary as it combines the technological and medical expertise of two different faculties, the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering and the Faculty of Medicine.
The study environment is multinational and multilingual, as roughly half of the teaching staff and a significant number of students come from outside of Finland.
Programme structure and courses
Occupational profiles of the graduates
- Developing and testing products in the industry as well as marketing and post-marketing support and managerial tasks.
- Research, education, and specialist duties in academia and research institutes.
- Consulting on the use and procurement of products, evaluation of performance, maintenance, customization of appliances to clinical and research needs in health care units.
- Public official tasks related to the quality control, and management, and establishment of safety standards.
- Doctoral degree.
Welcome to Oulu Health ecosystem
60+ companies operate in the health technology field in Oulu - Oura, Polar, and CGI to name a few. University of Oulu closely cooperates with the ecosystem consisting of the industry and the Oulu University Hospital.