What is mentoring?
Mentoring is a relationship and confidential discussions between an experienced individual with a higher education degree (mentor) and a Master's student of the University of Oulu (mentee) that lasts about six months. During this time the mentor supports the student in decision-making as well as career planning and management.
Mentoring is mutually beneficial to both students and mentors. Through discussions the students can develop their professional and personal skills. For mentors the programme offers an opportunity to network, get to know the new generation of the university, learn what studies consist of nowadays, and have a say at the university.
The mentoring programme requires commitment and enthusiasm from both the mentor and the mentee. The programme consists mainly of one-to-one discussions between the mentor and the mentee. Mentees set targets for the meetings through their own questions and points of interest. Usually, the one-to-one meetings take place once a month, but at least three times during the programme. They can be organised remotely online as well. The mentoring pairs can never be matched 100 % as the participants had wished for.
- discussions with a clear goal
- support in aiming and achieving your dream career
- self-development and challenging yourself
- finding out and expressing your strengths
- sharing thoughts and experiences
- multidisciplinary encounters.
Mentoring is not
- looking for work, thesis or intern positions
- thesis or dissertation supervising
- easy answers
- help with personal issues.
Examples of topics to discuss
- finding a first job, moving ahead in career
- mentor’s career path and studies, typical day at work
- strengths and weaknesses of own skills
- job application, job interviews, LinkedIn profile, CV
- work-life balance.
During mentoring, the university organizes three meetings for all mentors and mentees (kick-off meeting, mid-way meeting, final meeting). The meetings might be organised also online.
Application period and applying
The application period runs from September to October each year. The new schedule will be published on the mentoring website early in Autumn, August-September.
In the academic year 2021–2022 the application period is open from 15.9.–6.10.2021 (12 o'clock noon). The application link opens on Sept 15. at 8 am.
The application period is also announced on the University of Oulu's social media channels, student mailing lists and news, as well as in the alumni newsletter and alumni community>.