Call for applications Fall 2022
University of Oulu Graduate school opens two grant calls for doctoral researchers in August 2022. You can either apply:
1) Travel grant when you travel to national or international conference or course, research visit or trip for data collection OR
2) Funding for virtual course or conference when you participate to the event remotely.
You can receive funding only from one call. The deadline for applications is 21st of August 2022. Please note that there are separate application forms for both calls.
In this call, you can apply for a grant for travels occurring between August 2022 and January 2023 (i.e., departure at the latest 31.1.2023).
Call for travel grants (updated 1 August 2022)
Doctoral researchers of the University of Oulu Graduate School are invited to apply for travel grants for national and international conferences, courses, workshops and research visits as well as trips for data collection. Travel grants may be used to cover travel and accommodation costs and/or conference, course and workshop registration fees. When awarded a grant to attend a conference, the recipient of the grant must have a poster presentation and/or an oral presentation during the meeting.
In all travelling, one must always follow travel guidelines of University of Oulu as well as possible travel restrictions set by Government of Finland.
Conference/course/travel must occur between August 2022 and January 2023 (i.e., departure at the latest 31.1.2023). The funds should be claimed in 2 weeks after the event.
When applying a travel grant, please note the following guidelines and principles:
- Research visit corresponds to a period of at least one week during which the applicant will carry out research work related to the doctoral training in a research organisation elsewhere in Finland, or abroad.
- If your doctoral training plan has not been accepted in recommended time (during ca. the first year of doctoral studies), the likelihood of receiving the grant will be reduced.
- You may apply for a travel grant before you (or your presentation) are accepted for a course or a conference: the grant will be cancelled if your participation at the conference or course is not accepted.
- The grant must be used for the purpose for which it is awarded. Changes to the use of the grant are not allowed after it has been awarded.
- Previous travel grants awarded by UniOGS will also be taken into account during the decision process.
The amount of the grant for courses and conferences is determined by the destination of the trip; up to 500 € may be awarded for trips in Finland, 1000 € for trips in Europe and 1500 € trips outside Europe. The amount awarded for research visits will be decided separately, on a case-by-case basis, maximum 4000 €. No doctoral researcher will be awarded more than one grant in a given year. Grants are never awarded retro-actively: they must be applied for before the trip.
The deadline for applying is 21.8.2022. Apply funding using the online application form.
Required attachments to the application:
- A letter of recommendation from your Principal Supervisor, indicating the importance of this trip for your doctoral studies
- The report from your last follow-up meeting. If you do not yet have a follow-up group, you should provide a letter from your Principal Supervisor evaluating the progress of your doctoral training.
- Invitation letter from receiving organization (research visits)
Incomplete applications, or applications arriving after the deadline, will not be considered. Travel grant recipients will be announced on UniOGS website after the decision.
Virtual conferences and courses
Call for participating in virtual conferences and courses (updated 1 August 2022)
You can apply funding for virtual course or conference when you participate to the event remotely. Maximum amount of the grant is 500€ and it can be used for registration fee. The grant is claimed after the course/conference based on the actual costs.
Course or conference has to be suitable for applicants' doctoral studies (advanced level with relevant content). Applicant is required to search for suitable course or conference by him/herself. Note that there are also many free online courses and conferences organized. By participating on these it is possible to gain ECTS credits based on supervisor's evaluation.
The deadline for applying is 21.8.2022. Apply funding for the online conference or virtual course using the online application form .
The conference/course must occur between August 2022 and January 2023 (i.e., the event starts at the latest 31.1.2023). The funds should be claimed 2 weeks after the event.
Please note, that you must apply for the grant before the course/conference is organised.
The supervisor statement is an obligatory attachment to your application. Ask your supervisor to send the statement to uniogs (at) oulu.fi by the application deadline or attach the statement to your application form.
The supervisor statement must include:
- Justification of the importance of the course/conference
- Justification of the suitability of the course/conference to the applicant’s doctoral studies (i.e. is the course a doctoral-level course)
- The supervisor's estimate of the number of credits (ECTS) that can be granted from the course/conference.
Incomplete applications, or applications arriving after the deadline, will not be considered. Travel grant recipients will be announced on the UniOGS website after the decision.